Dealing with Conflict between Co-workers!
Dealing with conflict is always difficult but in a place of work where you will constantly see your co-workers for long periods of time. So how do you deal with conflict in a way that doesn’t cause you further problems?
Here are some tips to deal with conflict at work:
- Don’t talk about it with other co-workers: Everyone needs to vent after experiencing conflict with a co-worker or a tough day at work. Instead of venting to another co-worker, which could cause further issues, call a family member or friend after work.
- Deal with the conflict sooner rather than later: Letting the issue build up over time will just make the situation more hostile.
- Conflict is best addressed in person in a private setting. Approaching a co-worker you have had conflict in person is the best thing to do especially if the conflict turns out to be a misunderstanding.
- Find some common ground such as we both just want the job to be done as safely and efficiently as possible. This reminds you both that you can agree on something and is a step to working well together once again.
- Keep an Open mind: Listen to what they have to say and try to keep an open mind, ask question respectfully to try and understand their point of view.
- Stay calm when it’s your time to talk: this is easier said than done but a very important tip to do.
- Be aware that you may need a third party involved: Hopefully you are able to resolve the conflict between the two of you but if that’s not possible you may need to speak to your supervisor.
- Learn from the conflict: The best thing to come from a conflict between yourself and a co-worker is to learn from it, how you handled it what, you would do differently, what you did well etc.
This video on conflict resolution will further assist you will resolving conflict with a co-worker.